Sunday, April 26, 2009

West Virginia Mama

I have had some questions about what exactly is a West Virginia hot dog. I would like to share some background. My mom is a hillbilly from the hollers of West Virginia. She is a mountain mama.
We would take a family trip to visit family every other year. I remember getting in the car the day school ended and driving 2000 miles (20 hours). We never stopped (this is almost the truth, no lie) and we still tease my dad that he was too cheap to stop and feed us. It was a miserable experience, one that we always looked forward to. And an experience that is full of fun memories. We would stay with my grandparents, who lived in Charleston. My grandmother (mama) was a wonderful hostess, she would start the day early in the kitchen and cook 10 different breakfasts. One special order for each of us. She would cook all day, once breakfast was over it was time to start lunch. She would cook green beans with bacon, pinto beans and corn bread, fried potatoes, (these were some of my favorites). It makes me hungry just typing this. My mom still cooks these favorites for us. It reminds me of my grandmother (mama) and a lot of fun family memories.
One of the first stops on our trip would be Skennie's Weinies, they would make the West Virginia hot dog. Now let me tell you what that means, it is a hot dog in a bun with sweet chili (no beans), cole slaw, onions and ketchup and mustard. A favorite treat. And one we would look forward to.
I think I want one right now. If you get the chance you should try one. After you try it you will appreciate it, like I do.

No comments: